CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Grandpa Time

I received a text from the best cousin ever that my Grandfather was not doing well.
I did not hesitate to go visit.
When you see this building you know you are on your way to peace and happiness in Idaho.

How rad is their airport? I remember flying there as a child with my Dad.
Sometimes I would have the controls.
My Mom and brother did not have that option.
They were too busy puking in the back.
That is what happens in small planes.
I love this hotel for so many reasons.
But.
Let's start with how it has a sign that says Mastercharge.
You do not see that kind of sign anymore.

I stayed in Albion.
I found this sign on my run.
An American flag, an RV, and $11?
Sign me up.
I was kind of wondering why they took so much time with the vinyl lettering, but then penciled in their phone number.
Kind of a half-assed job eleven dollar RV park.

I had a lesson on watering the flowers by Addie.
My favorite was when I said, "Do you remember my name?"
Addie said, "No, but I like your shoes."
I would like it if we were all that simple.

I knew I was in Idaho when I woke up to cookies and muffins.
Very reminiscent of my Grandma's house.
I miss her.
Probably more than most.
That is one serious connection.

The first night I was there Gramps and I watched Celebrity Bowling with the Brady Bunch.
True.
I have also watched the A-Team with him.
My Grandpa is kind of hip.
There was a lot of yelling and laughing.
Things like, "Come on. Get it together man. We DO NOT want them on our team."
Bowling is very relaxing...even if there was some yelling.
ESPN Classics is great. I need TV for that only.

The next day when I visited we started out with organ playing.
This is what organ playing looks like.

I used to play this organ as a kid.
We discussed the financial planning of purchasing an organ.
I did not do that as a kid.
Oh, adulthood.
You suck.
Back to being a kid please.
I said, "Gramps, teach me something new on the organ. Something fancy with the pedals."
When I asked him how I was doing he said, "It is alright, but keep on trying."
Thanks for the honest words.
Then we argued over cords.
He got the book out to try and prove me wrong.
Touche Bill.
Always right.
I had several one-on-one hours with my Grandfather.
I learned about his life.
He gave me Grandfatherly advice.
It went something like this,
"Stay as sweet as you are and marry a good man."
Oh, okay Gramps, both very complicated.
You better believe I challenged him on both of those ideas.
I might have even asked him if he slipped my Grandma the tongue on the first kiss.
His reply?
"She was a cold fish."
Hahahahaha. Priceless.
I love you Grandpa.

Lastly, I found these rad shot glasses for Jordan and I.
Fish parts on both sides.
Perf.

0 comments: