CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Gramps



This post took me a long time too.
Grieving takes a long time guys.
Yes, I had pink hair once.
I was so punk rock back in the day.
****
My Grandfather passed away the day after Dani.
Two funerals in three days is intense.
So is losing losing two best friends within 24 hours.
That was a lot to handle.
It still is.
****
My Grandpa and I became very close over the last few years.
I have fond memories of him as a child, but I have even fonder memories in the last few years.
We would talk on the phone often....about everything.
That guy really liked to challenge me.
We are both pretty stubborn so you can imagine how that went.
Those stubborn moments always ended in laughter.
I loved that.
He let me be me.
The last time I saw him I went on a walk in the crisp Idaho air whilst listening to Local Natives (specifically the song Airplanes, which is about his Grandpa). I knew it was one of the last times I would have such precious moments with him.
I prepared myself.
****
I have so many memories of my Grandfather.
Like:
-When we made pinwheels together (pictured above) and I was trying to convince him to give me the recipe. He would not give it to me, because he already gave it to one grandchild. Obviously you are the favorite Michelle, because you are the keeper of the flame. Jokes, I super sleuthed and got it out of him. Success!
-When he would pass me the butter and push it into my hands like a jokester.
-The rope swing he built for us grandkids. That thing was so fun and we all did some phat tricks off of it.
-Nat Soo Pah adventures.
-Camping adventure. The camper!
-The night we watched The Brady Bunch Bowling special together and both decided that they are all terrible bowlers. "Come on!!!!" would say to the T.V. We also decided we were waaaay better bowlers than those kids.
-Our long talks and his incredible advice.
-When I would call him every couple of weeks and the first thing he would say was, "You never call and you never visit." That always made me laugh because it was false.
-The chalkboard by the phone.
-How he remembered my birthday every year with a card.
-How I didn't know how to talk to him after my Grandma passed away because I was so close to her. We had a great conversation about that.
-How being around him and being in Idaho felt like being home.
-Horseshoe tournaments.
-Backyard baseball.
-The many days we spent discussing his history and life story.
-The day I told him how I felt many years ago when he had his first heart attack. How I couldn't live without him. He had tears in his eyes listening to the story, and he told me that he will always be here and that I can go on without him.

-The continual (maybe a little pushy Gramps!) that I need to find a good man. Maybe he forgot just how independent I am.
-When he told me, "Vegan food is gross!"
-The day I found a shot glass in the cupboard and asked him if he is a closet drinker, to which he replied, "Yes, we have the bishop over and drink with that shot glass." Guess who still cherishes that very shot glass? Yours truly.
-His faith and conviction. Truly beautiful.
-His passion for genealogy.
-Listening to him talk about the crazy lady next door to him in the nursing home that would come in his room and demand he drive her around town.
-The day he told me he was a pilot, and that he soloed in 8 hours...in a taildragger. Amazing. We also talked about my great uncle that broke records flying in 1920 ish. One of my favorite conversations with him.
-The endless amounts of awards that adorned his walls.
-The wooden woodpecker on the fridge that he would make start pecking when I was talking about the struggles my life. He would point to the sign next to it that said something like, "Keep on pecking at life." Wise guy.
-The endless games he would play with us. Spoon, Donkey, Pit, and all the rest.
-The day I was playing the organ for him and he looked at me strangly. I asked him what that look was for, and he told me he had heard better organ playing. Hahahaha. He was right, I was so rusty in my piano and organ skills.
-How he could always make me laugh.
-How I wanted desperately to see him one last time, but getting pneumonia twice in a row halted that idea. I had it in my calendar to be there the weekend he passed away. Even though I could not be there. My heart and love were with you in the last days Gramps. I was honored you asked of me even in the end. I miss you terribly.
-Singing at your funeral with the girls nearly pushed me over the edge. I did it for you Gramps. I knew you would have loved it.
(Thank you to uncle Brent who recognized my near breakdown and told me I was very brave to get up there. Incredible uncle.)
****
So much love for this great man.
Thank you for being an amazing Grandfather for 32 years.
I love you dearly.

2 comments:

Mrs. Vanna Z said...

beautiful tribute.

xoxo

v

Cisneros Family said...

Thanks Em! That was amazing! I love you! You are such a strong person. All those memories made me cry and laugh at the same time!! I miss those days. I miss them a lot.